18 September 2023

Catherine Sexton: Whispers from the Grave; Klaiber Cemetery, Boyd County, Kentucky

 

Compiled by Teresa Martin Klaiber


When I began this series, Whispers from the Grave, it was with the intention of sharing the many conversations (as well as research) I have done on this family for the past fifty-five years.  While I “married in” this is truly my family.  This land is where I belong.  This cemetery will be my last earthly home. 

Genealogists always feel a pull toward particular individuals.  Catherine Sexton has drawn me for years.   When I first started our family tree,  I asked my father-in-law what his great grandmother’s name was. His reply was Sexton – no I said “I mean her maiden name”.  He just shrugged.  My mother-in-law said she heard maybe Sutton and wrote that in a corner of a family paper.  Was Catherine related to Elizabeth Sutton Gallion, also at rest in Klaiber Cemetery? 

The biggest snafu beginning genie’s make fell in my lap.  The 1850 census showed Bartlett Sexton and another Catherine Sexton in Mark and this Catherine’s household.  The 1850 does not give relationships in a household. Like other newbie’s I assumed Mark’s parents because of age.  Never assume anything.  After years of deep digging (pun) Mark’s parents turned out to be Elisha and Tabitha.  It took dna to reveal that Catherine was indeed Catherine Sexton Sexton.

She is also an amazing pioneer true Appalachian pioneer.  So much so, that I wrote a book based on her life during the worst of Covid.  I am very proud of this publication and the only reason it is classified a “historical novel” vs. a biography is not knowing what and when she fed the chickens.

Catherine Sexton Sexton was born 15 March 1808 in Russell County, Virginia the daughter of Bartlett and Catherine Sexton.  She married Marcus Sexton and migrated thru Pound Gap and finally settled in what would become Boyd County, Kentucky.  She and Marcus had at least two children with Henry Powell Sexton surviving to adulthood.  Catherine died on Long Branch, Boyd County, Kentucky 7 June 1893.  She survived epidemics and the Civil War.  I invite everyone to read Catherine Heart & Soul which is still available on Amazon.  It is not only her history but the history of several counties, Kentucky migration and more.