30 April 2021

DNA Testing

 


DNA testing is not a lark nor a fad so that you can kiss the blarney stone or drink a toast on Cinco De Mayo.  Recently I have received several messages that started out with “I took the test to see what country my family was from…”

While advertisements push everyone to take a test to seek your origins, I encourage you to stop and analyze why you are going to do it and can you handle the outcome. Serious genealogists utilize DNA testing to confirm years of documentation & professional genealogists are aware that even with a good paper trail there can be twists and turns.  DNA is utilized to identify John Doe’s and to trace criminals as well.



DNA testing is in fact a form of paternity testing.  It is a very personal thing and can change your perceptions in a blink of an eye.  Once results are in it can and does affect not only the tester but the family members around them. Even those heartfelt, made for t.v. hugs and tears of joy, meeting a new relative are not without strong deeper emotions.

DNA testing is a wonderful tool for us genealogists and yes even seasoned researchers find discoveries they did not expect. I have long been a proponent of DNA testing.  DNA confirmed years and years of paper research.  DNA has also given me the joy of a new close family member.  Yes a joy but not without emotions. 

It is human nature that even what genealogist's term primary evidence can be rift with intentional errors.  Each and every person I have met over the fifty plus years of research had their own personal reason for tracing their family tree. I can honestly say that not one consultation was without some sort of emotional family story.  Amazingly, new technology has made discoveries easier in many respects.

Once you have taken a DNA test take time to read, in depth, about what the numbers can and do mean.  Genetic genealogy can be amazing and DNA does not lie.  Genealogy is a wonderful way to learn world history and about people that shaped us.  Over the years I have been blessed to meet wonderful, amazing, interesting people, many who I can call cousin by degree. Many of those relationships confirmed by DNA testing.  And yes, my personal journey has not been without lack of emotions.  Yes, I would do it all over again.  But when I talk to someone starting on their genealogical journey I now remind them DNA testing is not a lark nor a fad.