01 December 2019

THE CHRISTMAS CRY BABY


THE CHRISTMAS CRY BABY

By Teresa Martin Klaiber December 2019





Growing up, I quickly realized that each of my friends had traditions that differed from our own.  Some, with Christmas trees, would have stars topping their glory, others a pretty angel or ornate, fragile pointed glass topper.  My neighbors, the Steele’s, had pretty bubble lights that fascinated me. 

Dad and I always went to the same tree stand, as a father/daughter outing (13th Street, Ashland, KY.  Still selling trees for various organizations nearly 70 years later) while mother got the ornaments out.    Our tree sat in the picture window when I was smaller, where one Christmas I had to wait fidgeting, knowing Santa had already come, for my father, who had been called out to deliver a calf.  When I was a bit older our tree was placed in a finished basement recreation room.  I remember that my mother insisted that each tinsel be hung “perfectly” and it was dad’s job to string the lights. I must admit most Christmas were not the norm in our household.  We often had circus performers who helped celebrate with us. 


One tradition was constant.  Once the presents were opened it was off from Ashland, Kentucky, following the Ohio River, to Portsmouth, Ohio to share a holiday dinner with grandparents.  My paternal grandmother Martin’s tree was always large and the house was full of cousins and laughter.  At times we played with the electric train that had been my dad and uncle’s when they were small.  We had already written Santa Claus at Thanksgiving, while at her house, sending it up the chimney on a puff of smoke, for Santa to catch (I will give my readers time to think then chuckle at that tradition). 

My maternal grandparent’s home, on Gay Street, was a bit more sedate. Their beautiful tree sat between the vestibule and living room.  Each tinsel individually hung carefully along with antique, German blown, ornaments.  Cranking my head, I would see it was topped, not with a star or angel, but a crying baby. I never once asked, as a child, why the baby was crying, nor, why they did not have a star on the top of the tree. 
The dining room on Gay Street was carefully set with starched white table cloth, napkins, polished silver and crystal goblets.  The table usually included Clayton and Graham cousins, including Lucille Graham, my first cousin 3 times removed.  She was a teacher and author who wrote poetry and would be asked to recite at least one during dinner.

On my last Christmas, as a single lady, my grandmother shared Christmas with us in Kentucky. She no longer was able to decorate as she had when raising her own family.  Shortly after the birth of my first son mother brought me a box.  When opened I was holding the crying baby.   Why was the baby crying?  Why did my grandparents have the baby on the tree?  Mother had no idea, only saying that the baby had been on a tree as long as she could remember.

Mother was born in 1921 in Portsmouth, Ohio.  Her older sister Betty was born in 1919 in Honolulu, where my grandfather was stationed at the time.  Betty told me that she had replaced the crepe paper gown and ribbon several times during holidays when she was growing up.  Betty also stated that somewhere in the back of her mind she thought the baby could be her father.  The baby had a tiny bit of real hair taped at the cap.

Howard Clayton Feyler was born 10 September 1893 in Portsmouth, Ohio.[ii]  He was the only child of Edward Leopold and Dessie Mae Clayton Feyler.  He started kindergarten when he was five and the same year according to a social article in the local paper had been seriously ill.  His father’s jewelry store, on 2nd Street, ran ads by 1889 including photo supplies and cameras.[iii]  Utilizing many online photograph dating sites it is probable that the photo could fall into place in the same timeframe of Howard Feyler when an infant.  The earliest confirmed photograph I have of Howard, a toddler, was taken by A. Willis on 2nd Street Portsmouth. One might ascertain that the baby’s hair is brown and the nose could be the same. Maybe.


Howard Clayton Feyler

My husband was transferred to New Jersey while our youngest son was still a baby.  I was already immersed in family history, traditions, and genealogy. With hubby’s blessing the then fragile crying baby graced our Christmas tree until 1980.


My youngest son was now five and the crying baby was at the very least, seventy or older and terribly fragile. If I placed the baby on the tree for another year, I feared it would fall apart.  The tiny hands were flexing, the tissue thin, tape brittle and yellowed, the ribbon faded.  With trepidation I left it with a professional framer who in turn did a wonderful job mounting and sealing it. 

I have seen one other picture of a baby tree topper sold on Etsy, described as one of a kind.  The baby also had a crepe paper skirt.[iv]  Once again I wonder who the baby is.


Our cry baby has travelled from my birth place of Portsmouth, Ohio up river to Ashland, Kentucky, to New Jersey, back to Ohio, and finally to eastern Kentucky.  I have never let go of it and while he cries, he warms my heart, not just at Christmas time but all year long, one of many treasures I cherish for the memories.